Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Braid, great Indie Game



Download and play a demo level from a site such as GameSpot. Answer the following questions, and provide screenshots to demonstrate your responses: 
What are the level's "affordances"? 
I downloaded the indie game “Braid” demo off of STEAM.  Actually I ended up buyin it.
In the game there were objects that were affordances and they conveyed their use to me during the gameplay.
  • There were puzzle pieces in the platformer that were placed about the game.  I knew that I needed to go to the outlines of the puzzle pieces to obtain the pieces of the puzzle shapes. 
  • There are mechanisms such as a gears that it is clear you need to pull on to move a plank. 
  • There were objects such as door shapes that lead to other levels. 
  • There was a key that fit a locked door I had in the level. 
  • Affordance means is a design term that means an object should convey or communicate it’s use.  In gaming that means that it should be obvious what a weapon or tool is made for during the gameplay.
  • As a player I used the objects, mechanism and shapes to reach areas that I was unable to reach any other way. Objects that were affordances also worked together to show me the path of the gameplay.
Great assignment, gave me a chance to take an objective look at the affordances in a new game.

1 comment: